Sunday, January 11, 2009

Birthdays

The Giant Sundial of Jantar Mantar in Jaipur, India, is also known as the Samrat Yantra, or The Supreme Instrument. It stands 27 meters tall. Its shadow moves visibly at 1 mm per second, or roughly a hand's breadth every minute.

“When was the beginning of modernism?” Silence. “Anyone?” We all sort of collectively shuffled our feet.
“The industrial revolution?” said a mousey voice from the front of the room.
“An excellent guess. The industrial revolution took place in the nineteenth century, and as the 19th century progressed, the exercise of artistic freedom became fundamental to artist. That is a very good guess, but it is not the only one. Anyone else?”
“The French Revolution.” I said flatly.
“Excellent, Enlightenment thinking and the notion of freedom contributed to the idea of modernism; liberty was declared one of man's inalienable rights. It is in the ideals of the Enlightenment that the roots of Modernism, and the new role of art and the artist, are to be found. Anyone else?”
Quiet.
“Well believe it or not I was asked this same question when I applied for a job at the University of the South some years ago. I gave the answers you did, and expounded on them. Finally, when I was through, one member of the panel chimed in and said ‘We believe it was in 1648 with the founding of the Ecole des Beaux Arts...”

"O Oysters, come and walk with us!"
The Walrus did beseech.
"A pleasant walk, a pleasant talk,
Along the briny beach:
We cannot do with more than four,
To give a hand to each."
...

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

“What was the name of the guy that discovered the chicken?” asked D. taking another bite of dinner.
“What honey?”
“You know, who was the first guy to eat a chicken?”
“You mean who looked at a chicken and thought ‘Mmmmmmn, that looks good.’” asked J.
“Yeah.”
“I don’t know.” said J., then, looking at me “Do apes eat meat?”
“Sometimes.” I said, pulling the shrimp tail out of my mouth.

O God! methinks it were a happy life
To be no better than a homely swain;
To sit upon a hill, as I do now,
To carve out dials, quaintly, point by point,
Thereby to see the minutes, how they run--
How many makes the hour full complete,
How many hours brings about the day,
How many days will finish up the year,
How many years a mortal man may live;
When this is known, then to divide the times--
So many hours must I tend my flock,
So many hours must I take my rest,
So many hours must I contemplate,
So many hours must I sport myself;
So many days my ewes have been with young,
So many weeks ere the poor fools will ean,
So many months ere I shall shear the fleece.
So minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years,
Passed over to the end they were created,
Would bring white hairs unto a quiet grave.
Ah, what a life were this! -Henry the VI, Pt II

4 comments:

the unreliable narrator said...

I guess I would have sprung for the Renaissance...no job for me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOU.

Modernicon said...

Dates are funny things. They are remembrances, celebrations of the past. If one extra second was added to 2008 does that mean we have to subtract a second when recalling a past occasion? Dec. 7th, 1941 minus one second, a date that will live in infamy.

“If you are having a bad day, remember, you can start a twenty-four hour period at any time. Your day begins right now”
“Yes, but how often can I do this?”

If I can start a day over at any time, can I start my week over? My Month? Maybe Adam wasn’t 930 when he died, maybe he just had a string of really bad years and kept starting them over. Let’s face it, life outside the garden is no picnic.

Birth dates, death dates, the Gettysburg address. When would Lazarus celebrate his birthday? When he was pulled from his mother’s womb or when he was summoned from the tomb? If Lazarus was reborn, could he die? If not, what holiday could be as important to him as the day of his rebirth? Would he celebrate Christmas? Easter? or was he eventually taken by God like Enoch? My guess is that Lazarus, Jonah and Enoch are sitting around somewhere drinking tea and talking about the good old days while the rest of us marks our calendars for Columbus day and Memorial day and Labor Day and Festivus.

Unknown said...

How about Groundhog Day?

Considering your thought about repeating, or starting over, you ever see that movie?

Modernicon said...

Only about a million times. Incidentally, I saw an interview with the director, musing about how long he thought Phil was stuck in the loop, his guess was 1,000 years, that might be enough to change a personality like Phil Connors but honestly that seems far to short a time to change a personality like Mine! :)