Friday, December 19, 2008

close calls

Watching a video at the unreliable narrator's website reminded me of a time I was on holiday with D. in Albuquerque N.M. We decide to visit the Albuquerque Zoo. D. loved(s) zoos and while I am a bit conflicted on the issue, we had a great time wandering around looking at all the exhibits. The one that sticks in my mind is, of course, the lion exhibit. We stood behind the retaining wall and barbed wire looking down at the pride when I noticed a small four by six observation window close to the place where several of the cats were napping. We wandered down and stood beside the glass wall for several seconds before I noticed one particular female lion peeking at us from behind a rock. Being a cat owner I recognized the crouch immediately. No sooner had I thought, "That animal is going to pounce" when the lion threw itself at us with all its might. There was a rather comic, if terrifying moment, as the body of the cat was flattened against the windowpane, Shaken, the beast picked itself up and wandered away. D. and I stood in a pool of our own urine for what seemed like several more moments before we gathered ourselves and moved on. Thank god the contractor didn't skimp on the plexi.

Driving to my parents tomorrow several people have encouraged us to "drive safely." Ya know, because a mini-van with four small children, luggage and presents usually encourages one to drive like an nascar racer. The sentiment is actually greatly appreciated but again it makes me think of the night I was driving my 73 convertible ford mustang through downtown Denver on I-25. I remember having a thought that I was going too fast and lightly touched the break. The next thing I knew I had done three complete circles in the middle of the interstate at seventy miles an hour and come to a stop on the side of the highway perpendicular to the road just as two eighteen wheelers screamed past me in quick succession. "Black Ice" I thought. I remained relatively unfazed until I rolled down the window. As soon as the cool night winter air hit my face I broke out into tears and didn't regain composure until I heard the sound of an SUV's horn honking beside me. They were checking to see If I was alright. I waved at them, rolled the window back up, tugged at my seat belt and limped into Greeley an hour later still shaken.