Friday, December 26, 2008

Brain Doodling God

I hate it when you read something and your mind wanders in the middle of the sentence. You get to the last word of the paragraph, perhaps even to the end of the page, and I suddenly realize I can't recall anything that I've just read. This happened several times this afternoon as I was reading my friend Oleoptene's blog Betting against Pascal. I wanted very much to hear her thoughts and instead found myself reliving a conversation I was a part of in church a few weeks ago.

I can't remember how it started, but we were talking about the way in which god intervenes in ones life. I think I might have murmured something to the effect that I wasn't sure that god would intervene even if he could. Something like "God doesn't intervene." Memory is so hazy. I believe my comment was shot down by the associate pastor, but in a way that left the question of how god would intervene wide open. The conversation began to shift when one young woman spoke up. Something along the lines of "Wait. I want to know. Does God intervene or doesn't he?"

You know, the more I think about this, the only really clear memory I have of the conversation is the emphatic, even imploring manner in which she asked the question. I can't clearly remember what she said, not the exact words, but the way in which she said it still reverberates through me. "I want to KNOW. Does God intervene or doesn't he?"

Playing the Wii with my sister last night, she was quick to point out on several occasions that the game is always more enjoyable when one is winning.

Is it interesting to think that God would intervene on our behalf if fate were dealing us a rotten hand, but that God would never disturb a glorious run of good luck? Why would god interfere with good luck? God is good n'est-ce pas?

I can hear my children fighting. Big sister is tormenting little sister or the other way around. As a parent I want to intercede. My every pore screams to go and butt in. Sometimes I do, but usually I make things worse. My children can and do play well together, but part of playing is taking a few lumps. Rubbing my hand through my hair I can still feel the bumps of childhood indelibly marked upon my skull. Would you trade any one lesson from your life for something less?

I think the problem I have with the idea that god would intercede on our behalf is that it seems to take for granted the idea that god is good, or that god only wants the good for us? Please let some young Socratic pop up his head and say "pray tell Gorgias, what is the good and how do you know it?" That our understanding of good, and gods might be wholly incompatible.

I have know people, including myself, who have from time to time talked of life's trials and tribulations in a way that suggests that it was "all part of god's plan" or that "god sent me a lesson that I might learn from this" I would be very wary of praying for god's good graces to be visited upon me if this is the case. The cure might be worse than the disease.

But seriously. Years ago, I remember reading an interpretation of the Garden of Eden story as a separation of the immediate reality of God from man. Man didn't leave the garden, we are still here, only we have lost our intimate connection with the divine and have yearned for it ever since.

Now I am going to back peddle a bit and say I suppose it is possible that God intervenes, perhaps even that s/he is doing right now and keeping a blockage in my aorta from becoming a massive cardio-embolism. Or better yet, that through a bizarre connection of events involving a hummingbird, a cup of hot tea, several preschoolers in Connecticut and a dozen or so other rube Goldberg variations god has managed to stave off nuclear annihilation for another day.

I think it all comes down to a question of what is good. Does submitting yourself to the will of god mean that even at life's worst it is possible that god wants the very best for us? That God may even be actively working behind the scenes to procure the good for us, and that our limited perspective means that we simply needs be patient and wait for the will of the universe to unfold itself for us?

That is an ugly list of assumptions. I think that is why I prefer the four nobel truths. It is clean, elegant and, for the most part, summarizes my experience. That life is suffering, that all suffering comes from desire, that it doesn't have to be this way, and that overcoming suffering is possible if one is willing to do a bit of work on oneself. For myself that path also offers another possibility, namely to reunite myself with the intimacy of the divine, not by wagering my way into heaven, but through constant attentiveness to the now.

6 comments:

Oleoptene said...

And what about if I'm waiting a heart transplant and the best thing God can do for me is put a semi in front of you because you're an organ donor? My individual best interests may not be what's best for you, for the species, for the planet, so which does God care about?

But you do remember this summer's long discussions on the unreliable narrator on suffering ? You commented, you were there. I had turned the four noble truths into this strawman version of themselves, the how-to manual: there's suffering, suffering is caused by desire, end desire, end suffering, and the un with some help from David Brazier (read this fall) helped clear that out -- that suffering is not something that the four noble truths are to help you circumvent, but can instead serve as a sort of crucible for strengthening the soul.

The Baha'i take on God's intervention comes in the mystical work The Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys, which would be the first Baha'i book I'd hand you... In the story of the watchman in the Valley of Knowledge, about a young lover separated from his beloved who, unable to bear it any longer, goes out wandering, when he is chased by this watchman and eventually every way is closed off to him so, cursing the watchman, he goes over this garden wall and there finds his beloved, and he now praises the watchman. Because the purpose of life is our spiritual development what is for the best is not always about a prolonged and comfortable life, even if, running from the watchman, we think that's what we're looking for.

Sorry for the long comment, but glad that you responsibly take your laptop on vacation with you so you can keep blogging. Have a safe trip home.

Modernicon said...

"a sort of crucible for strengthening the soul"

Yes Yes! Exactly right!

Going to the Methodist church has really forced me to dig out the old preconceptions that were put in place in my childhood and reexamine them in light of new found beliefs and spiritual precepts...

I keep running in to these ideas like "God is good" and find myself going "wait...what?" and having to take a fresh look at them, not that they are wrong or I was wrong for beleiving them, but just how do these ideas fit into my life now.

Oleoptene said...

And then the Onion headline, 'Jesus answers half the prayers at the roulette table' totally made me think of you and of this entry.

What sees mysterious to me is how some people respond to suffering with a rising to meet it sort of thing, and some people with a crumpling up and falling inward... Or even how sometimes I respond the one way and sometimes quite the other. Some days it's a crucible, and some days it's just proof that the universe hates me, with, no doubt, good reason.

I have preconceptions in place since last September I am having to dig out and reexamine, and it is neither fun nor comfortable.

Modernicon said...

Talking with J. last night about this, I didn't want to dismiss the idea that God works in our lives, but realized that I had no idea how this might appear. Roulette tables, semi trucks and so forth are all good examples. I keep hearing this conversation in my head between Aquinas and Augustine:
Augustine: "Grace is God’s gracious attention to humanity working on us"
Aquinas: "Grace can also be like a substance, a divine infusion working in us"
Me: " What about spiritual discipline to help reduce one's susceptibility to temptation, to exercise self control, and to avoid being enslaved to one's desires?"

the unreliable narrator said...

And me (just to be difficult): "What about spiritual discipline to help us embrace and celebrate our human succumbings to temptation, our even-more human desire to label certain behaviors as 'tempting,' and our bizarre belief that something called self-control is 'good' and that desire is 'bad'?"

But that could just be Jenny's EYEPOPPINGLY AMAZING white-chocolate-covered truffles talking.

Wm. Blake IN TEH HOUSE Y'ALL. ;o)

Modernicon said...

desire good. Desire very good!