Wednesday, October 21, 2009

chapter 5

I think I may have blacked out.

Seriously, one minute I am walking towards the construction site, the next I suspended in limbo. I don’t know where I am. The world feels upside down as if I am hanging from a tree. I struggle for a moment, but nothing seems to come of it. I struggle again. Am I being pinned down? Where was I last? I remember. I was walking down the bike trail. It was hot. I felt light headed. Then everything seemed to go light. I struggle again.

“Help!” No answer. “Help!” I try to roll into a ball. I can feel my legs contorting, my knees in my chest. I take a deep breath and feel damp fetid air rushing into my lungs. Suppressing the urge to cough I thrust my legs out from under me. Suddenly my head shoots up. I can feel the warm light of the sun on my face. Fresh air. Looking around I am in a pile of leaves.

“Are you alright?”

There is a face in the sunlight. “I think so.”

“Then, do you mind giving me a hand, for you see, I am stuck in here as well.”
I look around. This is no ordinary pile of leaves. It is a mountain of leaves, with peaks and valleys that stretch as far as the eye can see. “Where are we?”

“As near as I can tell, we are here. Beyond that, I cannot say.”

It was not the answer I was expecting. Shifting my weight, my hand alights on the handle of Azarias. “I think you are sitting in my wheelbarrow. If you will hold on for a moment, I think I can push us both out of here.”

“What a fortunate turn of luck.”

I shrug at this.carefully prodding with my legs, my feet find something that feels like firm ground. I press my palms into Arazias’ firm handle. “Ready? Here we go!” With a great surge of energy I heave the wheelbarrow forward. I have no Idea what direction I am even heading. Arazias groans under the weight of the man as I continue to push. “This isn’t easy” I pant.

“It never is.”

Harder and harder I strain, the crackling leaves underfoot give no sense of time or distance. “We are almost there” I say aloud, as much to reassure myself as anyone.

“You are doing very well.”

“I don’t even know your name.” I grunt.

“Most men never do.”

“What?” I wheeze “Is” groaning “ It?”

“I think you know.”

“Please. Tell me.”

“I am that I am ” rang the voice.

Azarias seems to be rolling of its own volition. Am I pushing the Lord of hosts? I have the curious sensation that I am falling. The weight lifts from Azarius and I know my passenger has departed. “Wait!” I cry. “I have so much to ask you.” My hand slips on the handle and it jabs me in the side. “Wait!” I cry again. “Don’t go!” Again, there is silence. “Wait!” I shout at the top of my lungs.

My eyes are open. I am laying on the ground. Someone is tapping my with their toe.
“Buddy. Are you alright?” He kicks me again.

“I will be if you would please stop kicking me.” I say angrily.

“Can you sit up?”

“I’m not sure.”

“You’ve fallen on the bike trail and taken quite a blow to the head. Would you like me to call for assistance.”

Rocking forward I have the distinct impression that this man is someone of authority. “Who are you? I ask meekly.

“Officer Perkins. Do you require assistance?”

“I don’t think… No. I think I am alright.”

“Can you stand?”

“I… Yes” I say rising. I can see the officers uniform, his badge gleaming in the sunlight.

“Are you sure you are OK?”

“Yes. Thank you officer.”

“Have you been drinking or taking drugs of any kind?”

“What?”

“Are you on any medication?”

“No.” I say.

“Listen,” says the officer. ”I want you to write your name for me.”
He produces a black pen and taps the tip of it on a notepad. Numbly I reach over and take the pen from him and begin to write my name. Half conscious, I realize that I am signing a document of some kind. “What is this?” I ask.

“It’s nothing” said the officer. “It merely states that you are alright and that I can leave the scene."

“Oh” I said, rather confused. “Well” I pause “then, thank you again officer.”

“And sir?”

“Yes officer.”

“I suggest you take that wheelbarrow of yours and return home immediately.”

“Yes officer. Thank you, officer.”

“Anytime.” He said as he watched me pick up the wheelbarrow and begin to walk away. “Anytime.”

1 comment:

the unreliable narrator said...

A mystical, if not mystifying, conclusion. Or "conclusion." What became of the manure? We will never know. Or will we....