Friday, November 21, 2008

The Great Chili Cook-Off

Five thirty in the morning, cats tangled around my feet as I stand beside the stove, an array of spices, onions, garlic, sage and oregano, meat and peppers cover the counter. I am making chili. The kettle boils. Slowly I lower several ancho chilies into a cup of boiling water. Later they will be purred and mixed in. In moments like these, cooking stops being about the preparation of food and becomes alchemy, the transformation of base materials into gold.

You come to us
from another world

From beyond the stars
and void of space.
Transcendent, Pure,
Of unimaginable beauty,
Bringing with you
the essence of love. -Rumi

One of the judges looked me in the eye. “If there was a category for most… unique flavor, you would have won hands down.”
“Thanks” I say. It was a compliment.
“Your chili was really different.” She pauses, “it reminded me of a Cincinnati chili with that dark cinnamon/chocolate flavor.”
It’s called mole, I think to myself. Clearly the judge is an expert, able to discern the various regional dialects from a few scoops of meat and sauce. Feeling a bit sarcastic, I hang around and joke with my colleagues. I am not bitter.

“Your chili was sweet” Said another judge. "I liked it."
“The my kids like it that way. I respond. Everyone laughs.

Later I pop my head into the Dean’s office. “We missed at the Chili cook off today.”
“I wanted to give the other contestants their space. You see, I won last year.”
“You won the golden spoon?” I ask, impressed.
“My team did, mostly they just let me stir the pot.”
“Care to share your recipe?”
She looks nervously at the door then back at me “Well,” she hesitates, “I can only tell you this: the secret is in the meat.”
Quickly I make a mental note of this. “Yeah.” I say nonchalantly. “I used an organic ground chuck, how ‘bout you?”
She smiles at me, but doesn’t say a word. She is good. “I’ve really said too much already.” Embarrassed for having put the squeeze on my boss, I begin to tell her about my method. “Oh god!” she said. “You should have taken your pot of chili to Turtle Creek, you would have won hands down. You got way too fancy! You have to remember, your campus is out in the country a bit. You need to dumb it down. Throw in a handful of sticks and grass next time, you’ll fare much better.”
I cannot contain my mirth at this statement and laugh out loud. “Have a great holiday” I say, standing to leave.
“You too” she replies.


post-script
There were no vegetarians entries (duh-this is TEXAS.) After sitting around watching people eat chili for two hours (I was on clean up and had to stay) I am dying for... a chili dog of all things, tofu, beans, mustard, relish and onions please!

No comments: