Saturday, October 4, 2008

tongue-tied and jibber jabber

Standing in front of group of teachers, graduate students and assorted spectators, I found myself tongue-tied when one of them put a very simple question to me. “How is this painting about unity?” It is one of those funny little questions that artists get asked whenever the audience wants to reduce the conversation to the formalist aspects of an artist work. There are the elements of design, the line, the color, the shape, the texture and so forth. Then there are the principles of design, unity, variety, balance, scale, and proportion.

Want to ask an artist a straightforward question about why they chose the color red? You are just as likely to get the proverbial cold shoulder, as you are to get an answer. Why? Because you are engaging in an age old dialogue of art that questions the use of the techniques of an artistic medium to capture the essence of a thing rather than its mere outward appearance. Which is more important. That it is red, or that it is Red? I know. I don’t believe it either.

Now, in usual fashion I would embark at this point in either of two directions, one, that the question asked to me was just wrong and would go one to whine about “How unfair.” Or two, begin a lengthy discussion on the difference between Plato and Aristotle and the evolution of the language of formalism in the twentieth century. However, I plan on doing neither. (Yes, you can breath a sigh of relief)

You see, as I sat there momentarily stunned by the professors question debating with myself the direction I should go, and, at the same time stammering something about composition and color, I realized that I was, in fact channeling the spirit of Sarah Palin. I suddenly understood why I hated listening to all the jibber jabber about her.

I guess I have been where Sarah Palin has been, tongue-tied and trying to talk myself into a job that I might not be readily qualified for. Not that I am not qualified to be an artist or professor of art, but that I am just starting out and still have much to learn. And President? Honestly, who is qualified for all of the things that the president is supposed to do? Who has the military, economic, energy, social welfare, etc. experience that would make them uniquely qualified? No one. (Incidentally the original job of the president in reality is only to Veto, run the military and enforce the laws of Congress. Not all this other crap, but I guess those days are gone.)

I am an incurable romantic. I romanticize painting, I believe in true love, and I love the movie Mr. Smith Goes to Washington because it embodies the same romantic idealism about America that I share. You know, those ideas like the separation of powers, the idea that one vote can make a difference and that anyone can grow up to become president, no matter how humble their beginnings. (or how stupid their rhetoric)

Sarah Palin is no Jeff Smith. But like the Smith in the movies she gets a lot of bad press, she is inexperienced, and she appears pretty stupid at times. Still she should have her shot, as much as anyone should, I guess. Not that McCain/Palin will get my vote. I get really tired of the demeaning bad press, and I respected Biden’s restraint from indulging in this behavior during the debate. I, for one, am going to take my queue from this leader and follow suit. Hell, I will even vote him.

7 comments:

the unreliable narrator said...

Well, and you're a student, as am I; and in the academic world it is the JOB of a student to fumble productively--to stammer, to struggle, to somehow articulate barely nascent thoughts, in the effort of discovering 1) what we believe and 2) how best to communicate it.

But running for administrative office? WHOLE NOTHER SHEBANG. Even artists or art historians, we might expect/hope would not get lost in word-salad blizzards if they're our department chairs/deans, no?

Modernicon said...

You are right, of course, and my humble blog, such as it is merely tries to find those connections between my life and the world around me, sometimes the fit is a square peg in a square hole, and other times it is... well, this. She is a horrible choice after all

the unreliable narrator said...

"Humble blog" my arse! ;o)

The funny thing is that even though we KNOW the "job description" of being an artist/thinker/lifelong student, we're very inclined to forget it, and expect ourselves to be brilliantly articulate out of the gate. A nice reminder, for me, that we're *allowed* to reverse ourselves, rethink, rephrase, and just generally retool the line of thought even in mid-sentence.

(And if our elected officials were in fact behaving like this in order to show *active thinking*, how cool would that be?! Instead I fear they're more usually fumbling the verbal football because they're trying SO HARD to cram in all the "right" sound-bites and "sound smart"--when BEING smart is often messier and more interesting.)

It's obviously time for a blogpost when I start leaving comment-blabber everywhere....sorry, dear.

Modernicon said...

Holy Crap!!!

"trying SO HARD to cram in all the "right" sound-bites and "sound smart"--when BEING smart is often messier and more interesting.)"

This is the best thing I have read all week (he said reading volumes for his mid term)

AnnaMarie said...

Questions that are posed in the debate, and even by Katie Couric, are supposed to give we the people an idea of how our candidates respond to situations they are unprepared for, just as they would when they are presented with unfamiliar situations as president. To simply announce that they are not going to answer the questions is like saying, I'm not going to address this crisis. You've agreed to a job that requires such rhetoric and I don't think it's too much to ask that we are given a glimpse into the persons thinking.

Also, I think the question "What do you read?" is easier to answer- or even lie about - than "How is your painting about unity." But hey, that's just me.

That being said, I feel terribly sorry for Sarah Palin. I don't think she had any idea what she was getting into and people are just being mean.

Modernicon said...

Rhetoricians in public office??? Somewhere a whole school of ancient Greek philosophers just rolled in their grave.

And while I am fooling around...
Away with career politicians! Give us the likes of Quintus Fabius Maximus Verrucosus! Who handed back power once his term was done

the unreliable narrator said...

Well, and they *are* rhetoricians; they're just piss-poor ones. The Sophists have been revolving in their graves for a long, long time now, like chickens on rotisseries, practically.

Break a (mental) leg on yer midterms!