Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Compulsion

Little conversations keep bubbling up out of my subconscious, some real, some imagined. At one point I found myself revisiting my friend Oleoptene’s recent post on her “Crazy Mind reaction to [her blog] comments, getting them, or not getting them, not knowing what it means either way,” compulsively hitting the refresh button to see who had read her blog. My first thoughts were of my own coming to terms with posting, and receiving comments. But the more I thought about it, the more the meaning seemed to change for me.

My temples are pounding and I keep closing my eyes and lowering my chin to my chest waiting for the pain to pass. I walk into the kitchen, pour myself a glass of water from the fridge and drink it on one long draught. I like to drink water this way. No little sips. I like the feeling as the water floods my mouth, seeps out around the edges of the glass and dribbles ever so slightly along the sides of my cheek and down my neck. I like the feeling as I roll my head forward and lower the glass, the cool feeling left in my throat already subsiding. I sit back down and begin typing.

I begin thinking about David Sedaris’s short story “A Plague of Ticks,” from his book, Naked. In it, Sedaris describes the obsessive-compulsive behavior that drove his life during grade school. Licking light switches, counting each of "six hundred and thirty-seven steps" on the way home from school, "pausing every few feet to tongue a mailbox" and having to retrace his steps if he lost count, Sedaris was compelled to " . . . do these things because nothing was worse than the anguish of not doing them."

I begin making metal lists of the things I do compulsively. The making of metal lists is at the top of the list, along with counting miles on the odometer, and smelling the tips of my fingers. The further down the list I go, the more strange and bizarre the behaviors begin to appear. I refuse to make a list that pigeon holes my behaviors and ends up making myself out as crazy. I look back at the list. Are these behaviors compulsive? My eye falls on one item in particular: Closing cabinet doors.

Every morning I wake up with the kids and walk out into the still dark kitchen. Inevitably there is always a cabinet door or two open. Most likely because I was sleep walking a few hours before, getting a glass of water or a cheese sandwich and I forgot to close them. My eyes lock on the void between door and cabinet. It has to be filled. I quickly move to close the doors before the maddening chasm engulfs me. I am oblivious to paint chips that indicate the cabinets need to be repainted, the smudges of small fingerprints that need to be wiped along with the dribbles that streak the side of the doors from countertop to floor. The void must be filled.

With a sense of satisfaction I close the last of the doors. I can now turn my attention to more pressing matters like making coffee, another ritual that, while not requiring me to touch my elbow several times in rapid succession, nonetheless must be completed in several articulated phases if the process is to be complete at all satisfactorily.

Chip the glasses and crack the plates! Blunt the knives and bend the forks! That's what Bilbo Baggins hates, so carefully, carefully with the plates.

I stare at the counter several minutes later. There is a pool of water on the countertop beneath the coffee maker. “Where did that come from?” I imagine in my haste that I became oblivious to the water splashing from the coffeepot into the receptacle. Yet the sight of the water is so foreign I can’t bring myself to admit the obvious. The puddle is mine to own. I made that puddle. Incredulous. I reach for the sponge.

I am not compulsive. I am not compulsive. I chant over and over again compulsively. We learn nothing that hasn’t benefited us in some way along the line. Character defects surround us. We learn them in hard times. They are the behaviors that once kept us secure but have now long out lived their usefulness. Compulsion. A red badge of courage perhaps? I resist the temptation to file my friends into such tidy categories. They are my security blanket, my experiences, and, well, my insanity all rolled into one.

My temples throb. My eyes feel dry. Am I dehydrated? Time for another glass of water.

7 comments:

Oleoptene said...

I _KNOW_ you're not compulsively hitting refresh waiting for comments and all, but I love these blog entries where I can see you, J., the girls and your comforting domesticity, glimpse those things that make me so glad you're married to J. and I love the weaving of detail and reflection.

I am now busy cataloguing my own tics: lately the most annoying one is is that the double switches for the lights at the bottom and top of the stairs should have both pairs going in the same direction -- if the top plate has an up and a down and the bottom plate has an up and a down, I will walk downstairs and fix it. I like the cups in my cupboards in rainbow order. Shoes lined up. But I no longer care much about toothpaste as long as it's not oozing onto the counter, no longer notice which way the toilet paper hangs.

Certain rituals cut stress: if my keys hang in a habitual place, if shoes are in the cubbies we use, I don't have to spend fifteen scream-y minutes beating myself up that the kids are going to be late for school while we look for them. Closing cupboard doors seems like a good way to avoid banging into them. Other rituals, though, may just be an assertion of control, and a a marking of territory.

I am trying to imagine anyone without any such tics -- I think that Raven claimed when we got married I had many more than he did. He was probably right. He's got a couple though. And we've either gotten much more accepting of each other's little eccentricities, or he has gotten much more diplomatic.

the unreliable narrator said...

RAINBOW ORDER OMG it is so true. Also the Brujo is a great leaver-opener of cupboards and drawers, and I am a great walker-around-the-house-and-fixer of these heinous errors. And if we had a double switchplate, I would be all over that thing, I know it.

I like the idea of marking territory! Less pathological than other names I call my unbridled compulsivity.

(PS the Brujo is a fingertip-sniffer too but don't tell him I said so ;o)

Modernicon said...

double switch plates and glass wear beg for my attention...

the unreliable narrator said...

PS Sol LeWitt!

http://www.parisreview.com/viewprint.php/prmMID/5330

skwarepeg said...

I have closed cupboard (cabinet?) doors, annoyed with my husband for doing it yet again, then realized I was the only one home for hours.

I also compulsively, and I do mean compulsively, peel labels off of things that they shouldn't be on --- mostly boxes and books. I have to. Seriously.

The Alignment of the Lightswitches makes complete sense to me.

the unreliable narrator said...

It's better when the labels are the easy-peel-in-one-swipe kind; the WORST is when they're all GOOEY and adhesive, and you have to scrabble at them diligently for half-an-hour with your fingernails to make any headway at all. And all the other people in the classroom stare at you, because they don't understand why you feel this terrible NEED to remove the label from your book.

Modernicon said...

Saliva, my friends, the answer to the gooey adhesive, that is if you don't mind people asking why you are licking Gardner's Art Through the Ages...