Thursday, July 31, 2008

Unfold your own myth

I had my first job interview in ten years. I had to dress up, show up on time, be charismatic and answer all questions with a cheerful demeanor. Not so hard. I am pretty sure these skills are like riding a bike, once you have them, you don’t lose them. In my twenties I changed jobs frequently, moving up the ladder of success, giving me ample opportunity to polish my interview skills and perfect my modus operandi, my performance, if you will. Still, nothing makes a good interview like knowing the job and really wanting it, in a word, enthusiasm. The best part about teaching art for me is, when you do what you love, you never have to work.

So, the good news is I got the job, which meant I had to scale back on some of the part time positions I was considering elsewhere. I am still finishing up my MFA, and was going to teach a 2D design class at the university, but had to let them know that I was taking on a full time position at the community college, and with the studio hours I need to complete for the degree and family time, I was going to be maxed out. They were as sympathetic as you might expect.

On my way out of the office I ran into one of my professors and told him about my situation. We began talking about the graduate program, and the personalities involved. The art department hired a new department head over the summer and the interim director of the art program had stepped down. He was also the chair of my graduate committee. When I commented about having to find a new chair now, the professor said, “It is probably for the best.” The former director, he continued, wasn’t really my biggest supporter. We continued to talk about how my chair had spoken of me in the past and how change could really help me.

Still, It took a minute for his initial comment to sink in. About a year ago I sat down with my chair and asked him rather directly if, regardless whether he liked my work or not, if he could support me. If he could be the kind of chair that could be honest with me and tell me what I needed to move forward in this program. He had agreed that he could; only now I discovered that that had not been the case. Far from being my advocate, this guy had worked behind the scenes criticizing me to the other faculty. Betrayed, I wanted to punch him in the nose.

I suppose if he hadn’t held me back with his actions, I might be in a very different place right now. Who knows, I might have been working on my final thesis and would have had to pass on this job opportunity. In which case we wouldn’t have the extra money and the benefits. What with the baby coming, those benefits could be really nice right now (though after watching “Sicko” benefits begin to look less and less helpful) and after not having had steady employment in seven years, the extra income is always welcome.

I don’t know if you noticed, but I just did something here, that I frequently catch myself doing. Looking at the events of my life from point A to point C, and surmising that if it hadn’t happened this way, it most certainly would have been different. (Of course) I think it is interesting too that this kind of thinking, while it can be used pessimistically, usually creates a kind of optimistic syllogism (“certain things having been supposed, something different from the things supposed results of necessity because these things are so.") Optimistic, I guess, because I get a certain amount of comfort from this kind of thinking that keeps me from punching noses or beating my head against the wall. That, and its fun, when your not completely stressed out, to look back at your life and see all the funny twists and turns, the successes and failures that amount to the total of your experience.

Interestingly, I always seem to ascribe some kind of unconscious force to these results that seems to have little to do with me. That or I am just being superstitious. That my mind is just making these scenarios up to make sense of things I couldn’t otherwise look at. But I believe there is something valuable in seeing these little lessons unfold. I am guilty of thinking, “God has a plan for me,” or “the universe has a way of unfolding.” Call it kismet, call it karma, call it divine intervention, (god looks out for children and fools) if I look at my life in this way, I invariably see these gentle lessons, that you have to fail in one place to succeed in another. I find these lessons peaceful, because they make me understand why it is important to experience the setbacks, the disappointments and the suffering. Not just because I will appreciate the good times more, but because there is no difference between them, good and bad, they are materially part on each other, and I can’t imagine the one without the other. So I see these stories of my life unfold, I see the consequences, the joys of a new job and the setbacks of my degree plan and realize that they are all just part of the unfolding narrative that is my life.

I guess the challenge then is to unfold your own myth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me finally look up the parable of the Taoist farmer, which I've been meaning to do for more than a year now. I'm sure you've heard it before, but I'm going to post the whole darn thing in my comment anyway because I'm lazy that way.

There once was a Taoist farmer. One day the Taoist farmer’s only horse broke out of the corral and ran away. The farmer’s neighbors, all hearing of the horse running away, came to the farmer's house to view the corral. As they stood there, the neighbors all said, "Oh what bad luck!" The farmer replied, "Maybe."

About a week later, the horse returned, bringing with it a whole herd of wild horses, which the farmer and his son quickly corralled. The neighbors, hearing of the corralling of the horses, came to see for themselves. As they stood there looking at the corral filled with horses, the neighbors said, "Oh what good luck!" The farmer replied, "Maybe."

A couple of weeks later, the farmer's son's leg was badly broken when he was thrown from a horse he was trying to break. A few days later the broken leg became infected and the son became delirious with fever. The neighbors, all hearing of the incident, came to see the son. As they stood there, the neighbors said, "Oh what bad luck!" The farmer replied, "Maybe."

At that same time in China, there was a war going on between two rival warlords. The warlord of the farmer's village was involved in this war. In need of more soldiers, he sent one of his captains to the village to conscript young men to fight in the war. When the captain came to take the farmer's son he found a young man with a broken leg who was delirious with fever. Knowing there was no way the son could fight, the captain left him there. A few days later, the son's fever broke. The neighbors, hearing of the son's not being taken to fight in the war and of his return to good health, all came to see him. As they stood there, each one said, "Oh what good luck!" The farmer replied, "Maybe."

AnnaMarie said...

Jenny - I love that. Thanks for posting it.

Patrick - my first thought upon reading about your former directer was holy crap!

My final thought, though, was that the oak tree was always there, even before the acorn.