Friday, July 18, 2008

Spinach in the meatball

So I am flipping through one of these parenting magazines and I spy an article on how to get kids to eat their vegetables. This piqued my interest on multiple levels. One. I am always looking out for a good recipe. Two. Preparing kids meals should be the soul of brevity. Personally I don’t think that any meal that takes more than a half an hour to make is worth its salt. I have several years worth of half-hour long programming from the food network to prove my point that a half hour is more than enough time to prepare several delicious dishes. This goes doubly for children’s meals. Three. My kids hate to eat, or at least seem to do so. In fact, their propensity to eat is inversely proportional to my expectation that they will enjoy whatever it is I have made them. Sure they are going to like chicken nuggets? Come to find that today chicken nuggets are an anathema.

So, what was the sage advice that this parenting article offered? Disguise your food. Not with funny little masks or hats, but to transform the ordinarily disgusting vegetable into something that appears to be a delicious treat for the ages. Don’t like spinach? Chop it up and hide it in a yummy meatball. Don’t like Cauliflower? Fry it up to look like popcorn. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I can’t even begin to tell you the myriad reasons that this strategy will never work. First of all small children are able to detect despised vegetables the way bloodhounds detect scents, like a shark smells blood in the water, like an eagle spies, oh you get the point. You put one single leaf of minced up spinach in ten gallons of hamburger, they will know it is there, and don’t even get me started on why the cauliflower thing is just nonsense.

Believe it or not though, none of this compared to the incredulity I felt when I read the last item on the list. Don’t like Broccoli? Puree it up to look like guacamole and, and, (wait for it) serve it with pita chips. Now I know you are gasping with disbelief. But, for the uninitiated, I will spell it out. Never mind the complete dishonesty and misrepresentation that you are perpetrating on your child. Forget the years of psychotherapy the child will grow to require. Imagine for a minute the larger picture. What are they asking us to do to broccoli? I am on a bit of a rant here, so bare with me. Why would you take something perfectly good and wholesome, like a simple tree of broccoli, and puree it? The very adjective “tree” should tell you everything you need to know about broccoli. Broccoli already looks like something else. If this isn’t enough to convince a child to eat it, then surely nothing else will. Needless to say, I have yet to meet a child that would eat guacamole anyways, certainly not any that tasted like broccoli.

No, the truth is, this article simply did not make any sense. But it did remind me of something I learned a long time ago with my first child that I have come to forget. Disguising a food aside, there is something to the idea that foods can look like something else that can capture the imagination of a child in a way that spinach in a meatball has failed to grasp. That the very resemblance of a thing can and often does challenge the imagination of a child in a way that can make eating more enjoyable, dare I say fun. Why not have fun with it. Allow your broccoli to be a tree.

A few years ago, D. was looking through a cookbook for kids that suggested transforming the ordinary everyday hot dog in a bun into a crocodile simply by adding a few carefully placed kernels of corn to resemble teeth. She loved it. I shared this with my neighbor, who also has children, and she suggested that a few simple lengthwise cuts halfway along the length of a hot dog are all that is needed to ensure that the hot dog will resemble an octopus when it comes out of the boiling water. Kids want to be engaged. They want to see the world from new perspectives. This is the core of their cognitive development, and we, as parents, have only a small window of time in which to lay down simple differences, let alone allow them to see the world from completely new perspectives. Why not give it to them.

Now I realize that some of you will cry foul. I am a vegetarian (yes who likes fish) and I do like vegetables and, more importantly, I like food to look like the stuff it came from. (The exception being sushi, or, well fish in general. Fish should never look like fish) I suspect some of you are rethinking my dislike of beets and saying "a ha! So it isn't just the beets!" But, we are deceived so much of the time. In advertising, in spam and craigslist scams and on the used car lot. It seems to me that children will get enough of this “spinach in the meatball” kind of treatment all too soon. I wonder how I perpetuate this kind of thinking in my own life? I suppose I can think about it on my way to the grocery store. I guess we are having hot dogs (or smartdogs) for dinner.

7 comments:

AnnaMarie said...

I actually have a cookbook that teaches you to "hide" nutritious food in every day things. You've made me question it. (I've never used it because it looks like a lot of work, but it's the same concept as your article.)

I don't understand disguising healthy, delicious avocado with broccoli... that's just weird. Maybe use your guacamoli as a sauce for broccoli... now that's an idea I could get behind!

Modernicon said...

Stick something on a stick and it becomes a whole lot more interesting. Tortellini on a stick (w/ cherry tomatoes, cubes of mozz. cheese and blk. olives) was a big hit at tonight’s dinner fest.

Noelle said...

Dr. Whitney Anderson, pediatrician and cofounder of Full Tank Foods knows of this problem all too well. Eight out of ten kids don’t get enough veggies and that is why she and her husband started Full Tank Foods-www.fulltankfoods.com. Full Tank makes frozen veggie enriched favorites like Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta & Red Sauce, Pizza Fondue and Cheesy Mashed Potatoes in a pocket sandwich. Full Tank encourages parents to try the real veggies first, but if a child refuses, these products can solve that problem and provide the nutrition the child needs. And kids won't taste the veggies. Try it!

Parents of kids with sensory issues also fight this battle. It can be very difficult to provide the nutrition they need due to an increased sensitivity to taste, smell, texture and even color! Veggies pretty much cover all these senses. Full Tank veggie enriched kid favorites offers a solution for these kiddos as well.

Modernicon said...

Far from embracing the spirit of my blog you have used it as a mere opportunity to advertise your product demonstrating that you are not engaged in the solution to better children's health, you are part of the problem. The way to teach children about better nutrition is not to disguise your foods and trick them into eating, a tactic better known as lying, rather the solution is to offer children a variety of freshly made (i.e. home cooked) meals that are not the prepackage junk they are used to being handed. Experiment with your child, engage them in a dialogue. Talk to them and find out what they like and don't like. The list of likes may start out small but will grow with patience and time. Find out if they like mashed potatoes, if they do experiment with mashes parsnips, see if they like broccoli and cauliflower by varying your recipe and presentation, then move on to squash, beans and the like before resorting to hiding carrot puree in pasta sauce. I think you will find the honest approach offers a great deal more in the way of interaction with a child than by simply pushing another preconceived prepackaged health food option at them.

Virgie P. said...

Many years ago, one of my siblings accidentally invented the word "broccomole." There was much laughter as we discussed what a disgusting and ridiculous dish that would be. A few weeks later, we attended a church potluck. Guess what someone had brought? Broccomole is indeed nasty.

I agree that the ideas from that parenting magazine would not work for any vegetable hating child I have ever known. But the idea of mixing greens in with some meat (or fish or eggs or cheese) *is* helpful for *adults* who find certain vegetables unpalatable ...

the unreliable narrator said...

Well, and then there's the flat medical fact that children are engineered by natural selection to find bitter foods repulsive. Their ancestors who indiscriminately ate fetid things....are not in fact their ancestors, because they chewed oleander leaves and died.

It always makes me nuts, to see adults trying to cram various "healthy" things down the gagging maws of little ones who are only doing with their genetic programming instructs them to do. Did WE like olives or broccoli or stinky cheese when we were seven years old? No we did not. Our taste buds forbade it. And fighting over food with children? = the fast track to spending their college funds on eating-disorders treatment.

Also sprach the barren, childless one.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is, we have that cookbook, too: Deceptively Delicious, right, with the bright pink cover? I've seen it on many a mother's bookshelf. Of course, I made the mistake of handing the book to Daryl (a child old enough to read) and asking her to pick out some things that looked good. Of course, she immediately picked up on the wacky ingredient lists and said "no way!"