Saturday, August 29, 2009

four

Little Elle can climb. Little S. can tumble. G. can run and scream and put the fear of god in you and D. swims like a shark.

(sigh)

It drives me crazy when I tell people I have four daughters and they look at me like I am some poor dumb guy who doesn't stand a chance.

They repeat after me: “Four?”

I hate it when they say “four.”

Four.

Foooooouuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Seriously, it makes me crazy and I wish they would stop the parroting. "Yes, I have four daughters. Why? Is it written somewhere that having four girls is bad?"

Seriously. I want to punch them. I mean what are they saying anyway?

I also hear this one a lot: “Four daughter is a lot of work.”

?????????????

My favorite responce to this is a line a friend of mine gave me: "You go from man to man to a zone defense."

It is better than the cynical, derisive comments that I want to say:

“You poor stupid bastards, you don’t have daughters, do you?”

Daughters are awesome. I wish I had twenty and I am so, so, so glad I had four.

They make me laugh, they make me cry, and most of all, they make me glad.

There was a time when I loved three… but four is the magic number.

2 comments:

Oleoptene said...

(really? people say this to the parents of four daughters? Because, um, I know that "four" and it is so often followed with that shake of the head and sigh. )

And I happen to think your four daughters are pretty amazing. What is even more startling is when J. and I were in Austin and they were eight and it was -- energetic, yes, but nice.

AnnaMarie said...

I love this post. And I would love to have 4 daughters.