Tuesday, July 28, 2009

what if's

I like the “what if’s” of life. I used to have a teacher, actually she was the principal of my grade school that would say “uh-uh, no what if’s.”

How sad.

What if the sky was pink and the oceans were lemonade.

What if I had a better job, and why don’t I go get it right now.

What if people treated each other better, or if government had a better mandate for the people or if religion taught individual salvation, what if sandwiches were the reward for the well lived life, what if, what if, what if.

What if I added olives to my marinade?

What if I drank another beer?

What if I told that S.O.B. off, like s/he so desperately deserves.

What if I tried to be less angry, more hopeful, less sullen, more joyous, less proud, more proud.

I think what if’s get the lawn mown. Get the trash taken out. Get dinner made and get us out of bed in the morning.

If I had a chance to go back in time and finish that particular conversation (there are so many) I would tell her, what if’s are the things of dreams, the imagination of children, the aspirations of adults, they are the reason we live, the reason we die, why we try and fail, and why we try and succeed.